How to become a model?
Well it all starts with what kind of modeling you want to do. There are many opportunities for models. Some types of modeling like high fashion have many requirements and others do not.
But for most models that do any commercial, print or ad campaigns you will need to get yourself an agent.
To become a high fashion model you will need to be tall, thin and have an agent that can get you the appointments with the people who book the fashion shows.
There are many modeling agents, but the top one are in large cities like New York and Los Angeles. Many girls who want to become high fashion models actually end up moving to New York so they can get an agent and find modeling work. High fashion modeling work also means ‘high fashion’ city and that is not something that is easy to find outside of large metropolitan areas.
If you live in a small town or a city that is not a fashion mecca you may want to try to get into some small community or mall fashion shows. Those will not normally pay anything and people just do them for the experience but it is a step into the direction that you want to go if that is what you want to do. After you do some small shows and get a small portfolio together, you can then start sending that portfolio out to agents in larger markets to see if they are interested.
There are many modeling agencies and the major ones are listed below. You can Google any of them to get mailing addresses and emails for portfolio submissions.
List of Modeling Agencies
- 1 MODEL MGMT – New York
- 18 KARAT TALENT & MODELING – Knoxville
- 2PM MODEL MGMT – Copenhagen
- ANGELS & DEMONS MODELS PARIS – Paris
- AVENUE MODELLER – Gothenburg
- BANANAS – Paris
- BON IMAGE CORP – Tokyo
- BRAVO MODELS – Tokyo, Japan
- CHIC MGMT – Sydney
- CITY MODELS – Paris
- CLICK – New York and Los Angeles
- DNA MODELS – New York
- DOMINIQUE MODELS – Brussels
- DONNA MODELS – Tokyo
- ELITE – worldwide with offices in many large cities like New York, Paris, Milan and others
- ESEE MODEL MGMT – Shanghai
- FACTOR WOMEN – Chicago
- FM AGENCY – London
- FORD MODELS – New York, Paris and Brazil
- FUSION MODELS – New York
- I LOVE MODELS MGMT – Milan
- IMG – New York, Milan, Paris, London
- IMM BRUXELLES – Brussels
- JILL MODELS MGMT – Antwerp
- KULT MODEL AGENCY – Hamburg
- LA MODELS – Los Angeles
- LOUISA MODELS MUNICH – Munich
- MAJOR MODEL MGMT – New York
- MARILYN AGENCY – Paris
- MARILYN MODEL MGMT – New York
- MC2 MODEL MGMT – New York, USA
- MEGA MODEL AGENCY – Hamburg,
- BMG – Worldwide
- PRESIDENT MODEL MGMT – Moscow
- RICHARD’S INTERNATIONAL MODEL MGMT – Vancouver
- ROOT MGMT – New York
- STARS MODEL MGMT – San Francisco
- TEAM MODELS – Oslo, Norway
- TESS MGMT – London
- TREND’S BY METROPOLITAN – Paris
- ULLA MODELS – Amsterdam
- VISAGE MGMT – Zurich
- VISION MGMT GROUP – Minneapolis
- VIVA MODELS BERLIN – Berlin
- WILMA WAKKER MODEL MGMT – Amsterdam
- WILHELMINA – Model Management, Los Angeles, Miami and other cities
Once you get a portfolio together, you can begin mailing or emailing top model management companies. There is a partial list of modeling agencies above and there are hundreds more all over the world. Many modeling agencies handle other types of models, not just high fashion.
Many agencies have multiple divisions for things like commercial modeling and other choices.
And, of course there is America’s Next Top Model that you can tryout for.